need help balancing!

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

ivy914

need help balancing!

Post by ivy914 »

Co(NO3)2 + NH3 + (NH4)2CO3 + H2O2 = [Co(NH3)4CO3]NO3 + NH4NO3 + H2O

any ideas how to balance this equation? i've been working on it for 30 minutes and still can't figure it out. the balancer thing says it is invalid or something!

please help! thanks :)
holyland

Post by holyland »

in the reaction, we can find that:
Co2+ ---->Co3+
O1- ----> O2-

and this is the Key of the equation.

2Co(NO3)2 +6 NH3 + 2(NH4)2CO3 + H2O2 =2 [Co(NH3)4CO3]NO3 + 2NH4NO3 + 2H2O
http://www.chem-zone.com

worldwide Chemical website has been founded today. Come here soon, and you will be the earliest member!
ivy914

Post by ivy914 »

thank you! : )

I know that the you have to look at what is oxidized and reduced in redox equations, like you said, but how exactly does that work? i am very confused on how to balance redox equations. there is a method of splitting the equation into two separate ones, one for oxidation and one for reduction .. but i still can't get it to work.