balancing equations

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

karenkirk

balancing equations

Post by karenkirk »

Help balancing equations! Pb(NO3)2 + NaI= PbI + Na(NO3)2 and NaOH + H2SO4 = NaCO3? I was given lead(ii) nitrate and sodium iodide react to form? and sodium hydroxide neutralizes carbonic acid to form? Please check my formulas and product formulas to see they are correct. The balancing tool says they are impossible reactions and I an unsure why. I also need to know what type of reaction they are. I think they are both double replacement reactions. Please help! :?
Andy0

Post by Andy0 »

Pb(NO3)2 + NaI= PbI2 + Na(NO3)

lead(ii) nitrate and sodium iodide react to form (fixed you charges)

NaOH + H2CO3 = Na2CO3 + HOH

sodium hydroxide neutralizes carbonic acid (H2CO3, not what you had … H2SO4 is sulfuric acid very different) to form (a salt + water, the salt is Na2CO3 aka sodium carbonate)

Answers

Pb(NO3)2 + 2 NaI = PbI2 + 2 Na(NO3)

2 NaOH + H2CO3 = Na2CO3 + 2 HOH