Strong and weak acids

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

vaazu

Strong and weak acids

Post by vaazu »

Hi
I was reading my chemistry book and a question came to my mind. Why doesnt weak acids fully dissolve in water? If one molecule can dissolve why don´t all of them act the same way? Also with bases. For example why doesnt all the NH3 molecules attach with OH- ions in water?
Andy0

Post by Andy0 »

When looking at strong & weak acids you need to realize something:

They can dissolve into water, and float around as a molecule (doesn't disassociate). So there in water dissolved, but because the H+ ion hasn't split from the rest of the molecule it doesn't make acid / or OH- for base

Strong acids both dissolve & dissociate (aka the H+ forms an ion & takes a hike away from the rest of the molecule) / or OH- for base

Generally:
Strong acid = dissociation Greater than 99%
Weak acid = dissociation Less than 5%
as for bases it's generally the same,
There is very very few in between :)