PHOSPHATE DETERMINATION

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

srose

PHOSPHATE DETERMINATION

Post by srose »

I am doing a project in the lab to determine the phosphate concentration of a water sample. There are so many steps involved. Can someone point me in the right direction. I know that I will be making a reagent using 2.5g ammoniun molybdate in 30ml distilled water.Then mixing 0.125g ammonium metavandate in 30ml water, heating it, cooling it, then adding 33ml HCL. Then I will mix them and dilute to 100ml with water. What is this reagent for, when will I be needing it?
Then I have to prepare my standard phosphate sample using Anhydrous KH2PO4. How do I do this? And what is standard being used for?
Then I have to prepare my samples. How is this done? why am I having to prepare my samples? They are on liquid form already, hence, water is my sample. Then the procedure talks about sample digestion or acidifying the sample. Why is this being done, do I have to do digestion for a tap water sample?

I AM COMPLETELY LOST ON THIS WHOLE PROJECT. I HAVE SPENT THE LAST WEEKS READING EVERY WEBSITE ON THIS LAB. thEY ARE ALL CONFUSING SINCE THEY ARE ALL DOING DIFFERENT THINGS AND USING DIFFERENT TECHNIQUES. I NEED SOME HELP, PLEASE!