KCAL problem Help

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

thedude60526

KCAL problem Help

Post by thedude60526 »

Ethanol is now being produced (CH3CH2OH) as an alternative "green" fuel. Determine the amount of energy produced by the combustion of 1 mole of ethanol. (C-H=100 kcal/mol, C-C=84 kcal/mol, C-O=87 kcal/mol, O-H=112 kcal/mol, O=O=120 kcal/mol, C=O=195 kcal/mol) Can anyone help I don't know where to start.
paully

Post by paully »

first start with a balanced equation so you know the products you are dealing with and take it from there

to make it easier CH3CH2OH can be written as C2H6O

so 2C2H6O + 7O2 = 6H2O + 4CO2

then look at you enthralpy conversion rates for alcohols and figure out the total energy produced per mole i dont have any notes in front of me im in the middle of the bush but your txt book should tell ya[/b]