A couple of ionic equations

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

A5HLEY

A couple of ionic equations

Post by A5HLEY »

Ok, so I need to formulate the ionic equation that forms when Na2CO3 and MgSO4 are combined. I have several choices to choose from, as follows I'll put charges in parenthesis):

a). 2Na(+)(aq) + CO3(2-)(aq) + Mg(2+)(aq) + SO4(2-)(aq) --> MgCO3(s) + 2Na(+)(aq) + SO4(2-)(aq)

b). Na(2+)(aq) + CO3(2-)(aq) + Mg(2+)(aq) + SO4(2-)(aq) --> MgCO3(s) + Na(+2)(aq) + SO4(2-)(aq)

c). Na(2+)(aq) + CO3(2-)(aq) + 2Mg(+)(aq) + SO4(2-)(aq) --> MgCO3(s) + Na(+2)(aq) + SO4(2-)(aq)

d). CO3(2-)(aq) + Mg(2+)(aq) + SO4(2-)(aq) --> MgCO3(s) + SO4(2-)(aq)

I really don't understand how to decide which one it is. And also, how do you write a net ionic equation from the one you choose? I know you have to consider spectator ions (which I know remain the same throughout the reaction), but I'm not sure how to determine which are the spectators.

Any input would be wonderful!
peter
Sr. Staff Member
Sr. Staff Member

Post by peter »

First you write a balanced equation of the reaction:

Code: Select all

Na2CO3 + MgSO4 = MgCO3 + Na2SO4
Then decompose all solvable compounds to ions and write ionic equation:

Code: Select all

2Na{+}(aq) + CO3{2-}(aq) + Mg{2+}(aq) + SO4{2-}(aq) = MgCO3(s) + 2Na{+}(aq) + SO4{2-}(aq)
which is answer a)
Hope that helps :)

Peter.
Chemistry Legend
paully

Post by paully »

peter is right ashley but what he didnt tell you is that the spectator ions are the ones that you said, the ones that stay the same through the reaction. Magnesium changes from an aqueious to a soild because magnesium carbonate is insoluble

(the solubilities of corbonate, nitrates, sulfates etc are written on the back of your chemical equation sheet that you get to use in all tests)

but the sodium stays aqueious because sulfate is soluble