chemical storage and reactivity

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

cfstrick

Post by cfstrick »

I work at a lab that uses a 2.5% solution of potassium dichromate. Part of our production entails a step using very diluted bleach. Inevitably the two will mix together during production. The mixed liquid waste is stored on site for up to 8 months before being shipped off for disposal. Should I be worried about the two being mixed together and stored as hazardous waste in the same metal drum?
Xen
Sr. Staff Member
Sr. Staff Member

Re: chemical storage and reactivity

Post by Xen »

cfstrick wrote:I work at a lab that uses a 2.5% solution of potassium dichromate. Part of our production entails a step using very diluted bleach. Inevitably the two will mix together during production. The mixed liquid waste is stored on site for up to 8 months before being shipped off for disposal. Should I be worried about the two being mixed together and stored as hazardous waste in the same metal drum?
Common chemical bleaches include "chlorine bleach", a solution of sodium hypochlorite (NaClO), and "oxygen bleach", which contains hydrogen peroxide or a peroxide-releasing compound such as sodium perborate or sodium percarbonate. Bleaching powder is calcium hypochlorite Ca(ClO)2.
If your bleach is either NaClO and Ca(ClO)2 then it would not react with K2Cr2O7.
In the case of peroxide-releasing bleaches the decomposition reaction might be catalyzed and as a result oxygen will be produced.
I would be worried about metal drum though ... is it made for the proper stainless steel? Because strong oxidizers like these significantly speed up corrosion.
cfstrick

Post by cfstrick »

It is a very dilute Sodium hypchlorite solution (~1.5%) but there is still some gassing off when the two chemicals are mixed and stored together in the 55 gallon drums. As far as I know, the drums are stainless steel, but I am going in to work tonight and will check. This concerns me very much. Unfortunately I work for a highly regarded internaional veterinary pharmaceutical corporation with complete incompetents and I will be damned if I am going to endanger myself or the lives of my coworkers for others' incompetence and ineptitude when it comes to the storage of hexavalent chromium compounds, regardless of how dilute it may be. I need your help soon. I will get back to you on the drum, but I AM 95% CERTAIN IT IS STEEL, but don't know about the grade. I think the shipping stickers are still on them. What grade should it be? Also, any idea on the maximum temperature and time at which this mixture can be stored?
cfstrick

steel drum specs

Post by cfstrick »

The steel drums bare stickers that say "UN 1A1 / X1.8 / 300 / 05
USA M4921
1.2/ 1.1/ 1.2"
And in white paint they read "TH55-3E"
Is this the right kind of steel for this type of corrosive?
Xen
Sr. Staff Member
Sr. Staff Member

Re: steel drum specs

Post by Xen »

cfstrick wrote:The steel drums bare stickers that say "UN 1A1 / X1.8 / 300 / 05
USA M4921
1.2/ 1.1/ 1.2"
And in white paint they read "TH55-3E"
Is this the right kind of steel for this type of corrosive?
I am not an expert in steel specification either. I would look for something like this in the search engine.