Principle Rotation Axis in D2d Group (allene)

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

bennybp

Principle Rotation Axis in D2d Group (allene)

Post by bennybp »

I'm kinda pulling my hair out with this one. Basically, in a character table, A represents symmetry about the principle rotation axis, defined to be the highest order Cn axis (among other things). B is for anti-symmetry about the principle rotation axis. In the character table, there should be +1 for A and -1 for B under the column for the principle rotation axis.

In the D2d group, however, this pattern occurs under the S4 operation! In reviewing the literature (particularly F.A. Cotton, Mulliken, and Herzberg), the closest I can come up with is that it is due to D2d being related to the C4v group. Other than that, I (and my professor) have no idea.

For a little more background, I posted this on the Wikipedia Reference Desk a week or so ago, and it's available HERE

I'll keep looking, but let me know if anyone has anything.

Thanks for at least reading :)
Benny P.
Vitalii
Staff Member
Staff Member

Re: Principle Rotation Axis in D2d Group (allene)

Post by Vitalii »

bennybp wrote:I'm kinda pulling my hair out with this one. Basically, in a character table, A represents symmetry about the principle rotation axis, defined to be the highest order Cn axis (among other things). B is for anti-symmetry about the principle rotation axis. In the character table, there should be +1 for A and -1 for B under the column for the principle rotation axis.

In the D2d group, however, this pattern occurs under the S4 operation! In reviewing the literature (particularly F.A. Cotton, Mulliken, and Herzberg), the closest I can come up with is that it is due to D2d being related to the C4v group. Other than that, I (and my professor) have no idea.

For a little more background, I posted this on the Wikipedia Reference Desk a week or so ago, and it's available HERE

I'll keep looking, but let me know if anyone has anything.

Thanks for at least reading :)
Benny P.
The symmetry tables in their present form came from the accepted conventions. My guess is that these conventions had exceptions from the rules you stated above. I'd refer you to the original article on symmetry conventions:
R. S. Mulliken,. J. Chem. Phys., 23, (1955) 1997
bennybp

Post by bennybp »

Yes, I have a copy of that article, which more or less says use the conventions in "Infrared and Raman Spectra of Polyatomic Molecules" by Gerhard Herzberg. That is where it discusses D2d being isomorphic with C4v. I suppose there isn't much more to it than that, without getting really heavy into group theory.

Thanks for thinking about it at least.

BennyP 8)