Why does breaking fo bond release energy?

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

Alexander1981

Why does breaking fo bond release energy?

Post by Alexander1981 »

Hi!

I am a med student. So I am learning tons of stuff by heart. The frustrating thing is I often don’t understand what I’m learning.
For example I never understood why the breaking of a bond actually releases energy. That is quite crucial in digestion, because we break the famous glucose and ATP to harvest energy.

So I started to read in my chem book somewhere in Thermodynamics (enthropy, etc). But it would be nice if somebody could give me a simple answer and/or direct me in my personal research.

I have to say although that I’m right before exams and this question is not relevant for the tests. And then I will take a long vacation. So please don’t be disapointed if I don’t read your suggested 1000 pages right away. But your help will be kindly apreciated.

Best regards,

Alexander