GC-FID Mineral oil Baseline

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

CrisTheChemist

GC-FID Mineral oil Baseline

Post by CrisTheChemist »

Hi Chromatographers,
I have a trouble with GC-FID analysis of mineral oils C10-C40 in water, soils, waste (ISO 16703). It is an instrumental problem not related to sample type or extraction.
I have been doing this analysis for many years, but now I have this problem that I have never seen before.

Sometimes the chromatogram of the blank or a std or a sample shows a negative band that goes below the starting level of chromatogram hence I can not integrate the classic large peak at the baseline.

I have just changed the column, the liner, the jet assy of the FID, but some days the problems doesn't appear, whereas other days the problem exist.
Do you have some similar experience?

I can share some chromatograms but I need your email address.

Really thank you