Question on Molarity and Solubility

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

dorothylinn

Question on Molarity and Solubility

Post by dorothylinn »

This is the chemical equation: C2H4(g)+Cl2(g)⇌C2H4Cl2(g)

If you were a chemist trying to maximize the amount of C2H4Cl2 produced, which tactic(s) might you try? Assume that the reaction mixture reaches equilibrium.

Check all that apply.

removing C2H4Cl2 from the reaction mixture as it forms

adding Cl2

lowering the reaction temperature

increasing the reaction volume

I honestly have no idea how C2H4CL2 can be maximized. I would think lowering the temperature, and maybe even increasing the reaction volume. Please help me understand what the question means and why or why not an option would make sense. This is not an exam question, just a homework question from Pearson Textbook.
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Re: Question on Molarity and Solubility

Post by ChenBeier »

Read the principles of Le Chatelier.

Here you make from two reactants one product. So it means decrease Volume or increase pressure will give more product .Figure out is the reaction exothermic or endothermic. Means consume or release heat. If it consumes rise temperature, in other case decrease temperature.
Then adding more reactants and removing more product also drive it to a maximum.
jesse99

Post by jesse99 »

In my opinion, the best tactics to maximize C2H4Cl2 production are removing C2H4Cl2 as it forms and adding Cl2. Retro Bowl
bekeanloinse

Post by bekeanloinse »

According to Le Chatelier's Principle, if C2H4Cl2 is removed from the reaction mixture, the equilibrium will shift to produce more C2H4Cl2 to counteract the loss. Therefore, removing C2H4Cl2 will favor the forward reaction and increase the production of C2H4Cl2.