Colloidal gold

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

Tandree

Colloidal gold

Post by Tandree »

Hello, everybody and thanks for the admission! Actually I am learning about making colloidal gold and I found a receipt in internet about making it by electrolysis and some additifs. My electrolyser works with 50 volts The additifs are very small quantities of salt NaCl, sodium citrate Na3C6H5O7 and corn syrup in the distilled water. Then I have to warm the water, mixing, and put the electrodes inside. In less of half an hour there is rubby red colloidal gold. I asked the author of the video what exactly are the chemical reactions during the proces, how the additifs react with the gold ions and between them and what exactly we have at the end of the process in the mixture, especially what happens with the additifs. The author didn't reply. Please, help me to find the exact information.
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Re: Colloidal gold

Post by ChenBeier »

To less information. Where does the Gold comes from. With salt, citrate and corn syrub you cannot make Gold.
Which movie do you refer to.
Tandree

Post by Tandree »

I am sorry, I forgot to mention that I use electrodes 24 carats with my electrolyser. It seems, that I can’t post url links that are external to this domain, I can not publish the link to the video. It is cold "Making Colloidal Gold Nanoparticles, from start to finish!" , the user is Alchemy Wizzard in Youtube
I think the gold ions interact with NaCl resulting HAuCl4 and then reacting with the sodium citrate, the methode of Turkevich, no?
My worry is that besides the gold nanoparticles there are also some residue harmful salts in the final mixture.
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by ChenBeier »

Yes gold will be oxidised to Au 3+ by chloride
The citrate is reducer back to gold.
There several methods in the net.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colloidal_gold
Tandree

Post by Tandree »

Thank you, ChenBeier! So what are the final products besides the gold nanoparticules? It is still not clear for me.
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by ChenBeier »

Some reduced products of the citrate.

Mainly aconitic acid and Isocrotonic acid salts

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aconitic_acid

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isocrotonic_acid
Tandree

Post by Tandree »

Thank you, ChenBeier!
Tandree

Post by Tandree »

ChenBeier wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:15 am Some reduced products of the citrate.
Mainly aconitic acid and Isocrotonic acid salts
Hello! I am back again with another question. I couldn't find by myself if these reduced product are harmful for the body, if I drink this colloidal gold. What is your opinion?
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by ChenBeier »

We dont give recommendations for food, pharmaceutical products.
We dont discuss to make this kind of things, because we dont know what impact it has to human body. It's a chemical forum and no medicinic forum.
Topic closed.