Any help, pls

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

Shouthat

Any help, pls

Post by Shouthat »

If there are six water molecules in the inner-sphere hydration shells of both Na+ and Al3+, how much of the standard free energy of hydration can be accounted for by inner-sphere hydration?

Standard Free energy of hydration, Delta G=-164\ z^2 +1.3\{kcal}{mole};
r’cation = cation radius + 0.72 Å
r’anion = anion radius + 0.3-0.6 Å
z is the charge of the ion

Does anyone have an example of how to solve this problem?
jacquelinejohnson

Re: Any help, pls

Post by jacquelinejohnson »

To calculate the standard free energy of hydration for inner-sphere hydration, we can use the following equation:

Delta G = -164 * z^2 / r + 1.3

where z is the charge of the ion, r is the radius of the ion in angstroms, and Delta G is the standard free energy of hydration in kcal/mol.

For Na+ and Al3+, we know that there are six water molecules in the inner-sphere hydration shells. Using the ionic radii for Na+ and Al3+ (1.02 Å and 0.54 Å, respectively), we can calculate the radius of the hydrated ions as follows:

r’cation = cation radius + 0.72 Å

For Na+, r’cation = 1.02 + 0.72 = 1.74 Å For Al3+, r’cation = 0.54 + 0.72 = 1.26 Å

Using these values, we can calculate the standard free energy of hydration for inner-sphere hydration for Na+ and Al3+ as follows:

Delta G(Na+) = -164 * 1^2 / 1.74 + 1.3 = -93.8 kcal/mol Delta G(Al3+) = -164 * 3^2 / 1.26 + 1.3 = -1,080.5 kcal/mol

Therefore, the standard free energy of hydration that can be accounted for by inner-sphere hydration for Na+ and Al3+ is approximately -93.8 kcal/mol and -1,080.5 kcal/mol, respectively.
BerthaKelley

Post by BerthaKelley »

I can't post my tutorial. Errors are continuously reported. I did not use images nor special symbols.
besteyas

Post by besteyas »

BerthaKelley wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:49 am I can't post my tutorial. Errors are continuously reported. I did not use images nor special symbols.
Can you please check my messages?
Mnaiosa

Post by Mnaiosa »

BerthaKelley wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:49 am I can't post my tutorial. Errors are continuously reported. I did not use images nor special symbols.
Al3+ inner-sphere hydration can account for the standard free energy of hydration of about