Extracting Lithium from batteries

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

amrrashad58

Extracting Lithium from batteries

Post by amrrashad58 »

Hello All,
I’ve been trying to extract lithium from batteries for a while now, everytime I fail, I can’t see the error if you guys can help me spot it.

I only use brand new batteries since all my old ones did not work for me.

I discharge the batteries using leds and dc motors to prevent it from creating sparks while taking it apart.

I use these blue lithium ion cells I buy them brand new ( not recycled) from an electronics store

As soon as I peel of the battery casing & unroll the battery I find the anode and the cathode exactly the same color (black).
I thought maybe the lithium reacted with the air but
all these youtube videos work around the same timeframe as mine.

Then is it the battery itself ?
All the youtube videos work with energizer

Or is it I work slowly ? So the lithium reacts with the air as soon as I peel it off ?

Or is it about the charge levels ??

Thanks guys ;)
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Re: Extracting Lithium from batteries

Post by ChenBeier »

You don't have pure Lithium in the batteries. It's a kind of Lithium Cobalt Nickel Manganese oxide and Fluorophosphates