Complex electrolysis question

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

bohojekek

Complex electrolysis question

Post by bohojekek »

The question in regard to the attached image below is:
Explain why the carbon electrode cannot be replaced with an iron electrode.

The answer states that iron is a STRONGER REDUCING AGENT than fluorine and would be preferentially oxidised.

Iron’s standard potential for oxidation is +0.44 V. Fluorine’s standard potential for oxidation is -2.89 V.

This is my thought process: the stronger the reducing agent, the more likely the substance is to oxidise. The more likely a substance is to oxidise, the lower its standard electrode potential. So how is iron the stronger reducing agent if fluorine’s standard reduction potential is lower? Am I not meant to flip the signs when determining what reduces and oxidises even for species I know are oxidising?
Attachments
IMG_1347.jpeg
IMG_1347.jpeg (319.17 KiB) Viewed 628 times
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Re: Complex electrolysis question

Post by ChenBeier »

It is opposit
Iron’s standard potential for oxidation is +0.44 V. Fluorine’s standard potential for oxidation is -2.89 V.
Fe => Fe2+ + 2e- -0,44 V
2 F- => F2 + 2 e- +2,85 V
Iron has the lower redox potential.

Also Carbon will be attacked by flourine. Beside F2 also CF4 will be developed.