Swimming Pool Help

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

PoolBloke

Swimming Pool Help

Post by PoolBloke »

Hi

I realise this is not exactly homework…but I haven't formally taken chemistry class for about 45 years…so I may be a bit rusty.

I work in the swimming pool industry and I have realised over the last 4 years or so there is a big misunderstanding in the industry around CO2 it is being blamed for runaway total alkalinity. I realised after thinking and my sketchy chemistry the issue is more likely hydroxide residual from sodium hypochlorite manufacturing.

To rectify this, I am writing an article, and it is heavy with chemical equations. That’s where I would like help.

I have attached the equations I have made, part from memory, part from bits and pieces on line and part from it simply makes sense ... to me anyway.
Equations.jpg
Equations.jpg (39.38 KiB) Viewed 954 times
As I said it is years since I did any chemistry, so I am likely to have unbalanced equations and other inconsistencies. I would appreciate the help in checking these.

It's more than possible some of these are incomplete as in missing part of the equation as it is how I think it is . I really appreciate the help.
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Re: Swimming Pool Help

Post by ChenBeier »

Equation
1.?? Dont understand what TA^2 * 10^pH -6.1 means
2. Correct
3 and 4. are the same , correct
5. Correct
6. Correct
7. Correct
8. Wrong where does the H comes from
9.correct
10. Wrong
11. Correct

Generally there is a equilibrium
H2O + CO2 <=> H2CO3 <=> H+ + HCO3- <=> H+ + CO3 2-

So all reaction with CO2 are the same with H2CO3 or the anions.
PoolBloke

Post by PoolBloke »

Thanks.

Sorry the TA is total alkalinity. Assume bicarbonate ions as pH is usually less than 8.3.

I am arguing whether it was TA2 or 2 by TA. Memory being a fickle thing. I saw this sometime somewhere in 1996.

Thanks
PoolBloke

Post by PoolBloke »

ChenBeier wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:43 pm Generally there is a equilibrium
H2O + CO2 <=> H2CO3 <=> H+ + HCO3- <=> H+ + CO3 2-

So all reaction with CO2 are the same with H2CO3 or the anions.
I get that. The industry doesnt.

The industry norm is CO2 raises total alkalinity. Usually it rockets away. The industry blames the CO2. Pseudoscience at its best. indeed on fitting CO2 there will be a rapid rise in TA that needs acid correction to fix it. However it is not the CO2 that causes it. The CO2 shows an issue that is inherent in the pool chemistry specifically the chlor alkali manufacturing and use of hydroxide in sodium hypochlorite for elongating life. Normally it is hidden with acid pH correction so the reaction is not observed.

Anyway thanks for the help.
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by ChenBeier »

TAC.
TAC ("Titre Alcalimètrique Complet" in French) also called Total Alkalinity or simply Alkalinity (Alk) is water content of bicarbonates (hydrogencarbonates. HCO3-). carbonates (CO3 2-), free alkali (OH-), and positive ions associated with Ca 2+, Mg 2+, Na+ and K+

Note : "Titre Alcalimétrique simple" as TA (not used herein) measuring content of free water in alkali carbonates and alkali (Na+ associated with sodium and potassium K+). In natural waters TA can only occur si the pH is greater than or equal to 8.3 (TA = 0 si pH <= 8.3).
The distribution of constituent ions for alkalinity can be calculated from respective values of TA and TAC.