Mixing CO2 + H2O2 in specific environment

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

BTJCM

Mixing CO2 + H2O2 in specific environment

Post by BTJCM »

Hello, I almost 99.9% that nothing dangerous will happen, if I mix CO2 and
H2O2 in specific environment, but the verification is the most advance shape of knowledge, so my question is: If I mix CO2 + H2O2 with waste water which have ph between 9.00 and 11.5(before neutralization with CO2), and the waste water contain mainly sodium dithionite and NaOH. Is there possibility something dangerous can occur during the mix.
Best regards,
BTJCM
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by ChenBeier »

Mixing of hydrogenperoxide with hydroxide is a risk of self decomposition. Why not use sodium peroxodisulfate or other more safe peroxide compound. Carosh salt or something.
BTJCM

Post by BTJCM »

ChenBeier wrote:Mixing of hydrogenperoxide with hydroxide is a risk of self decomposition. Why not use sodium peroxodisulfate or other more safe peroxide compound. Carosh salt or something.
I forgot to mention that we are using coagulant aluminum oxychloride.
There is a lot SO4, SO3 and S from sodium dithionite and I need strong oxidizing agent for this reason, which can lower COD of the waste water.
Sodium peroxydisulfate is not a option for sure. I'm not familiar with Carosh salt, if you can tell me the chemical formula. Also I don't want to add components which can highly increase ph environment of the waste water.
I'm sure that the system will work perfectly fine if I use H2SO4 with H2O2, but I want to be sure If I can replace H2SO4 for neutralize the ph environment with CO2.

Best Regards
Best regards,
BTJCM
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by ChenBeier »

BTJCM

Post by BTJCM »

Potassium peroxymonosulfate, its not useful at all.. :((

Best regards
Best regards,
BTJCM
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by ChenBeier »

Why?? To expensive???
BTJCM

Post by BTJCM »

I don't want to have any SO4 components in the waste waster.
Best regards,
BTJCM
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by ChenBeier »

There is a lot SO4, SO3 and S from sodium dithionite and I need strong oxidizing agent for this reason, which can lower COD of the waste water.
But you have already sulfur compounds in. The oxidation with Peroxide also will create sulfate.
BTJCM

Post by BTJCM »

I will make detail explanation, so you will have more understanding about my situation. The main idea is to use H2O2 for oxidizing the components in the waste water because there is also a stable organic ( not hazard , toxic or so on.) components + sodium dithionite + NaOH, who increase the COD value. I already make some jar-test, and make a conclusion that the combination of H2O2, coagulant and H2SO4 is working perfectly fine In my case. But i'm planning to use CO2 for neutralizing agent, so I want to verified if there is some possibility something to go wrong.
I make a many researches about substituents, but I don't really find anything which can really help me in my case. The best working decision for now is H2O2 + H2SO4 + coagulant. But soon I need to replace the H2SO4 with CO2, from safety measurements from my company. I don't receive proper explanation about why we need to ban only H2SO4, and not also H2O2, but sometimes when the boss say its need to be done, you don't have much choices, even after you explain the situation.
Best regards,
BTJCM
BTJCM

Post by BTJCM »

ChenBeier wrote:
But you have already sulfur compounds in. The oxidation with Peroxide also will create sulfate.
I didn't say it properly, srry about that.

The idea is to have strong oxidizing agent, which can oxidize all components in SO4, so the coagulant can "attract them". So they will be all in the sludge not only in the waste water and sludge, and you will lower your COD value.
Best regards,
BTJCM