Organic substance combustion reaction

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

nemooo

Organic substance combustion reaction

Post by nemooo »

Hi, I have a question that's probably quite basic. What would be a combustion reaction for C6H8N2 ?

C6H8N2 + O2 = H2O + CO2 + ..... ? which nitrogen product and how to be sure about it?

Also, could you clarify one thing - everywhere I read about this substance I find out it is a liquid, while during the laboratory experiment I got it in a powder form, could somebody explain how this substance work?

The most important part is the combustion reaction though and why it is like this, so I will be very very grateful.
Gurongax

Post by Gurongax »

C6H8N2 + 10O2 = 6CO2 +4H2O + 2NO2 :D
Dont know about the powder though, i would recommend a solution with 85% destilated water, but honestly i have no clue.... Just a suggestion, dont do it if you havent confronted someone else with it :)
expert
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by expert »

Sorry, Gurongax, you are not correct. Normal burning of organic compounds with nitrogen always leads to nitrogen N2 as a product

C6H8N2 + O2 = H2O + CO2 + N2

Only at higher temperatures or special conditions formation of NO and NO2 possible as a side reaction. Usually it is an environmental concern for incinerators.

C6H8N2 may have variuos isomers. Google https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c ... 8#q=C6H8N2

Some of them are solids, for example all three isomers of Phenylenediamine
Remember safety first! Check MSDS and consult with professionals before performing risky experiments.