problems with equation

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

annie

problems with equation

Post by annie »

currently doing an A-level chemistry investigation(coursework) and i'd really appreciate some help with working out the equation between iron(II)oxalate and potassium manganate. i have the half equations for the reaction.I have a work sheet that says 6 moles of MnO4- react with 5 moles of the fe2(C2O4)2, the only problem is, when i combine the half equations i don't get this molar ratio- i get 4:5. might it have something to do with the complex that Fe(II) forms with the oxalate??
thanks v. much.
vhpk

Post by vhpk »

5Fe2(C2O4)2 + 4KMnO4 + 16H2SO4 --> 10FeSO4 + 2K2SO4 + 4MnSO4 + 20CO2 + 16H2O
Is that right :D
annie

Post by annie »

unfortunately - i don't think so! :cry: you've still got a molar ratio 4:5 (KMnO4: Fe...) but thanks for trying anyway! :D
annie

Post by annie »

problem solved- i misread the formula for the iron oxalate!!! what an idiot! :roll:
Vitalii
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Vitalii »

annie wrote:problem solved- i misread the formula for the iron oxalate!!! what an idiot! :roll:
I just was about to answer that :)
Anyway:
5 Fe2(C2O4)3 + 6 KMnO4 + 24 H2SO4 = 5 Fe2(SO4)3 + 3 K2SO4 + 6 MnSO4 + 30 CO2 + 24H2O