Help me with Packing factor

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

Pucca

Help me with Packing factor

Post by Pucca »

As I know the TiO2 structure (anatase and rutile) has tetragonal arrangement. This is also in agreement with the first pauling rule, in which the structural coordination can be estimated from the ratio of ionic radius between cation (Ti4+ = 0.42 A, for 4 coordination number)
and (O2- = 1.21 A, for 2 coordination number, and gives the ratio C/A = 0.34 which is fall to the tetrahedral structure)

As also mentioned in some literature, there are 3 kinds of packing density for various structures: CCP (cubic close packed), HCP (hexagonal close packed) and BCC (body centered cubic). Some literature mention that Ti metal belong to the HCP (hexagonal close packed), which I could not understand how this could be since in my mind, I think that TiO2 structure is actually tetragonal.
pucca
peter
Sr. Staff Member
Sr. Staff Member

Post by peter »

I may confirm that anatase and rutile has tetragonal arrangement and Ti metal has hexagonal. Why it should contradict to each other?
Chemistry Legend