molarity and stock solution problem

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

Derinda

molarity and stock solution problem

Post by Derinda »

How do I find what molarity should the stock solution be if you want to dilute 25.0mL to 2.00L and have the final concentration be 0.103 M?
sharan
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by sharan »

hey

use M1V1 = M2V2

so you hv
0.025 L * M1 = .103 * 2L
M1 = .103 * 2 / 0.025
M1= 8.24
The original stock shud be 8.25 M

Hope this helps,
-Sharan
Derinda

Post by Derinda »

Just want to double check something. Do you mean the original stock should be 8.25 or 8.24 as in M1= 8.24. Also is M1 always the stock or cant he stock be either M1 or M2? Thank you very much for your help.
sharan
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by sharan »

Hey
oops my bad i meant 8.24 u can do the calculation :P
Secondly, No it doesnt matter which is M1 or M2. It could be either one you just have to make sure that if you are considering stock solution as M1, V1 has to be the volume of vice versa. Or in other words, subscript 1 or 2 should refer to same thing. I hope that make sense and sorry for any confusion.
-Sharan
sharan
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by sharan »

:oops: what i meant to say was
"It could be either one you just have to make sure that if you are considering stock solution as M1, V1 has to be the volume of the stock solution or vice versa. sorryy again...
-Sharan