EQUATION HELP!!!!! PLEASE!!!!

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

milZ1

EQUATION HELP!!!!! PLEASE!!!!

Post by milZ1 »

Hey,

My question is if you dissolve aluminium nitrate nonahydrate in water and add acetylacetone. Then slowly add ammonia till the solution is alkaline to form the product tris(acetylacetonato)aluminium(III).

What is the eqaution, I don't know what to include in the equation and can't balance it????

Al(NO3)3.9H2O + H2O + C5H8O2 + NH3 = Al(C5H7O3)3

Thank you in advance,

Mili....
milZ1

Post by milZ1 »

Hey Does anyone know the answer to this question please?????????????????? It's really urgent, thank you!!!
Zedekiah
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Zedekiah »

As I understand it, the ammonia is just to promote the coordination of the acetylacetone. Since the ammonia doesn't really do anything, you may just want to write it above the reaction arrow.

Code: Select all

Al(NO3)3 + 3C5H8O2 ---->  [Al(C5H8O2)3](NO3)3
That looks about right... nitrate is a spectator ion, you can scrub that as well.
sharan
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by sharan »

Hey milZ1,
I would say the other product would be amonium nitrate besides Aluminium(III) acetylacetonate as you have suggested..

Code: Select all

4 Al(NO3)39H2O + 53 H2O + 12 C5H8O2 + 186 NH3 = 4 Al(C5H7O3)3 + 171 NH4NO3
hope that helps,
-Sharan