Ethyl Acrylate conformational analysis

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

classicfan

Ethyl Acrylate conformational analysis

Post by classicfan »

Hello, everyone!

I am analyzing the molecule ethyl acrylate Image right now and having a little trouble because I've, unfourtunately, fallen behind in my organic chemistry course at the moment.

What is the most stable conformation of ethyl acrylate?

Thank you very much in advance Smiley
Last edited by classicfan on Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
expert
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by expert »

There are sp3 and sp2 carbon atoms in the molecule, but no chiral atoms. Chiral carbon atoms usually have all four different substituents, so their mirror image can't overlap with the original.
Unlike flexible single C-C bond, carbon-carbon double bond C=C has restricted rotation. This make possible cis-trans isomers for such molecules except in this particular case H2C= is the same even if both hydrogens switch their positions. Cis-trans isomers would be possible for molecule MeCH=CHCOOMe, but not in your molecule.
Remember safety first! Check MSDS and consult with professionals before performing risky experiments.