Grams and moles

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

Diane

Grams and moles

Post by Diane »

I am totally stumped. Where do I begin?

Ethyl acetate reacts with H2 in the presence of a catalyst to yield ethyl alcohol:
C4H8O2(l) + H2(g) --- C2H6O(l)

How do I balance an equation for this reaction?

Then I need to figures out how many moles of ethyl alcohol are produced by reaction of 1.5 mol of ethyl acetate.

How many grams of ethyl alcohol are produced by reaction of 1.5 mol of ethyl acetate with H2?

How many grams of ethyl alcohol are produced by reaction of 12.0 g of ethyl acetate with H2?

Lost in chemistry!!
expert
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by expert »

First of all it is a very strange reaction. If C4H8O2 is Ethyl acetate that is CH3COOCH2CH3. To make ethanol you have to hydrolyze and hydrogenate at the same time (add both water and hydrogen) to the molecule, so water is required as a reagent here for hydrolysis, but water molecule at the same time is generated as a result of reduction. Interesting what the catalyst would be if this reaction really exists.
C4H8O2 + 2H2 = 2C2H6O - balanced
As you can see, the amount of alcohol product doubles, so 1.5 mol of ethyl acetate will produce 3 mols of ethanol.
To calculate amount in grams you have to multiply this number by molecular weight of ethanol.
Similar, 12 g of ethyl acetate can be recalculated into the number of mols by dividing to mol weight of ethyl acetate. You know the rest of the story
Remember safety first! Check MSDS and consult with professionals before performing risky experiments.