Balancing an equation

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

mahnelb

Balancing an equation

Post by mahnelb »

NH4NO3 + NH4Cl + Zn + H2O = I have no chemistry background and trying to learn.. I know this reaction produces a green flame, and the water starts the oxidation, but thats the extent of what I know. I think I understand the ammonium chloride acts a catalyst to continue the oxidizing of the zinc (but not why). I think, but don't know for sure that the fire is the ignition of the ammonium nitrate?? The questions I have is what is the correct balanced equation? How do I determine the temperature given off by the flame? Is there an easy way to understand what different ratios of the mixture would produce as results such as lower heat or faster reaction, how would you determine the optimum ratio should be for the Ammonium Nitrate, Ammonium Chloride, and Zinc Dust mixture that is reacted by adding water? Last question would any type of chloride work as a catalyst? I know I have a lot of questions here any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks... chemically challenged bomb technician. B [/code]
A country strong enough to give everything to its people, is also strong enough to take it all away. Thomas Jefferson