Chemical Equations...

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

cajunmo2

Chemical Equations...

Post by cajunmo2 »

OK. I have had a lot of problems with this thing. I dont seem to be able to write, much less balance, a chemical equation. If someone could give me a brief synopsis on how to write balanced equations, it would be greatly appreciate it. I have tried looking it up on the internet, but it is no use. If you can incorporate METATHESIS and REDOX reactions into your explanations that would be great. Thank you.

(e.g. Na + H2O ----> NaOH + H) (Metathesis or Redox reaction?)
vhpk

Post by vhpk »

Your reaction is a redox reaction:
Na + H2O --> NaOH + 1/2H2
Redox reaction means in this reaction there is a change about oxidation number.
Methatesis reaction means in this reaction, the reactants change their part to each other:
BaCl2 + H2SO4 --> BaSO4 + 2HCl
In this reaction, BaCl2 move its Cl and H2SO4 move its SO4 to each other, and there aren't any changes about oxidation number
cajunmo2

Post by cajunmo2 »

Ok. Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it. But I have the actual definitions for them. I need to know how to balance an equation. I am really having trouble with this, I am thinking about dropping the class. I Just do not understand it! Lol.