Need some MAJOR help!

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

hasleaman

Need some MAJOR help!

Post by hasleaman »

hello i'm a chemistry student in high school. my teacher handed us this paper for us to figure out...unfortunatly i wasn't there at the begining of his class for a student council meeting. this is what the paper says......................... Explain how the LAW of CONSERVATION of MASS is/can be displayed in the following stoichiometric problem.

Give 3 examples:
2KNO3 + Na2CO3 = 2NaNO3 + K2CO3
100g

the 100 grams under the KNO3 is how much you have to work with. If anyone can help me in anyway it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much.
Xen
Sr. Staff Member
Sr. Staff Member

law of conservation of mass

Post by Xen »

Due to this law mass of any element in products and reagents must be the same:
m(K in KNO3) = m(K in K2CO3)
m(N in KNO3) = m(N in NaNO3)
m(Na in Na2CO3) = m(Na in NaNO3)

To display this in your particular problem first calculate number of moles of KNO3 than number of moles of each compound. From this data calcuclate mass of any element in products and in the reagents - you will find that both masses will be the same and that demonstrates the law of conservation of mass .