Complete these reactions

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

shohan_chems

Complete these reactions

Post by shohan_chems »

Hello everyone, i am new in this community and i am seeking help for my thesis. I am stuck in a reaction that i am unable to complete on my own. I have been working on TiO2 nano-particles doped with silver and manganese. So i used titanium isopropoxide as precursor solution and organic extract is used as reducing agent. so basically the components that i used for my reaction are titanium isopropoxide, silver nitrate(5% mol), sodium hydroxide and for another sample i used titanium isopropoxide, manganese sulphate(5% mol),sodium hydroxide. so can anyone help me to complete this reaction please.
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Re: Complete these reactions

Post by ChenBeier »

That is only a hydrolysis.

Ti(OC3H7)4 + 2 H2O => TiO2 + 4 C3H7OH

The Hydroxide will give Manganese- or silver oxide, what will be built in the Titaniumdioxide particles

2 AgNO3 + 2 NaOH => Ag2O + 2 NaNO3 + H2O

MnSO4 + 2 NaOH => MnO + Na2SO4 + H2O

A reducer is able to reduce to silver.
shohan_chems

Post by shohan_chems »

Thank you very much for your response. But my product of the reaction must be TiO2. and when i dope silver it will be AgTiO2
and for manganese it will be MnTiO2. Furthermore if the dope percentage of Ag and Mn is x and y respectively then the products will be AgxTi(1-x)O2 and MnyTi(1-y)O2. So can you help me in this way?
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by ChenBeier »

AgTiO2 and MnTiO2 cannot be. Silver is monovalent, manganese bivalent and titanium tetra valent.

The 3 reactions I had given already.

AgxTi(1-x)O2 and MnyTi(1-y)O2. Make also no sense
If you put 1 for x or y then it would give AgO2 and MnO2
Manganese would be possible, but then has to use Mn-IV compound or a oxidiser.

But silver exist only as Ag2O

I Would say it is x Ag2O * (1-x)TiO2 and y MnO* (1-y)TiO2

2x AgNO3 + 2x NaOH + (1-×) Ti(OC3H7)4 + (2-x) H2O => 4*(1-x) C3H7OH + xAg2O(1-x)TiO2 + 2x NaNO3

y MnSO4 + 2y NaOH + (1-y) Ti(OC3H7)4 +(2-y) H2O=> y MnO(1-y)TiO2 + y Na2SO4 + 4*(1-y) C3H7OH
shohan_chems

Post by shohan_chems »

Thank you very much sir. You,ve helped me a lot. I am grateful to this platform as well