Biochemical properties of piruvic acid

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

Nimmull

Biochemical properties of piruvic acid

Post by Nimmull »

I came across an article about an experiment on protecting neurons with lithium, although instead of neurons they used leukocytes, they are similar. So it was established there that lithium pyruvate is the most effective of all salts.
The question arises: what are the biochemical properties of pyruvic acid? Can it itself be an energy carrier like glucose?
can it provide energy to cells when there is a lack of oxygen? thus helping the cell survive hypoxia.
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Re: Biochemical properties of piruvic acid

Post by ChenBeier »

Pyruvic acid can be made from glucose through glycolysis, converted back to carbohydrates (such as glucose) via gluconeogenesis, or converted to fatty acids through a reaction with acetyl-CoA. It can also be used to construct the amino acid alanine and can be converted into ethanol or lactic acid via fermentation.

Pyruvic acid supplies energy to cells through the citric acid cycle (also known as the Krebs cycle) when oxygen is present (aerobic respiration), and alternatively ferments to produce lactate when oxygen is lacking.

Pyruvate is an important chemical compound in biochemistry. It is the output of the metabolism of glucose known as glycolysis. One molecule of glucose breaks down into two molecules of pyruvate, which are then used to provide further energy, in one of two ways. Pyruvate is converted into acetyl-coenzyme A, which is the main input for a series of reactions known as the Krebs cycle (also known as the citric acid cycle or tricarboxylic acid cycle). Pyruvate is also converted to oxaloacetate by an anaplerotic reaction, which replenishes Krebs cycle intermediates; also, the oxaloacetate is used for gluconeogenesis.[citation needed]

These reactions are named after Hans Adolf Krebs, the biochemist awarded the 1953 Nobel Prize for physiology, jointly with Fritz Lipmann, for research into metabolic processes. The cycle is also known as the citric acid cycle or tricarboxylic acid cycle, because citric acid is one of the intermediate compounds formed during the reactions.

If insufficient oxygen is available, the acid is broken down anaerobically, creating lactate in animals and ethanol in plants and microorganisms. Pyruvate from glycolysis is converted by fermentation to lactate using the enzyme lactate dehydrogenase and the coenzyme NADH in lactate fermentation, or to acetaldehyde (with the enzyme pyruvate decarboxylase) and then to ethanol in alcoholic fermentation.
Pyruvate is a key intersection in the network of metabolic pathways. Pyruvate can be converted into carbohydrates via gluconeogenesis, to fatty acids or energy through acetyl-CoA, to the amino acid alanine, and to ethanol. Therefore, it unites several key metabolic processes.
Reference ranges for blood tests, comparing blood content of pyruvate (shown in violet near middle) with other constituents.
Pyruvic acid production by glycolysis edit

In the last step of glycolysis, phosphoenolpyruvate (PEP) is converted to pyruvate by pyruvate kinase. This reaction is strongly exergonic and irreversible; in gluconeogenesis, it takes two enzymes, pyruvate carboxylase and PEP carboxykinase, to catalyze the reverse transformation of pyruvate to PEP.
Nimmull

Post by Nimmull »

what happens is lithium displacing sodium blocks the mechanism of apoptosis of neurons, making them insensitive to thiol poisons and pyruvic acid pumps neurons with egergia, a double effect is obtained.
Can puruvic acid work as binary fuel give energy to cells without oxygen?
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by ChenBeier »

We are not a physician? So dont know.
Nimmull

Post by Nimmull »

Why i am not physisian?! I am fan of physics i was in final of soros Olympiad of physics when finishing the scool. I like to open secrets of universe such as how ufo create a force for fly not ejecting substance like a rocket? I solving this "task of physics" 20 years and solve.
Now i know how flying disks of tomas brown is work, why renthen tube is creating force when work, how device emdrive creating force and how works device vimana in ancient india.
Also i know how to create synthetic gravity on spaceship without accelerating and without rotating.
I know how this technologies is work but you never find this in books of physics.
I am real physic!
Excuse me. You write that you not physic but i think that you write that not physic is me. I made a mistake when reading.
Last edited by Nimmull on Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
Nimmull

Post by Nimmull »

And what hapen with my topic about molotov's cocktail? Is it forbidden? I really don't know will it work or no?
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by ChenBeier »

You mixed it up. A physician is a doctor for medicine. What you mean is a physisit, who work with physics

So we don't give recomandation for medicine or application, and also not for making bombs or other pyro stuff, like molotov, etc.
Its forbidden to post here.
Nimmull

Post by Nimmull »

I understand.