Amino acids and metabolites

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

tess1911

Amino acids and metabolites

Post by tess1911 »

Hi! Im going to do a little research for my internship about the detection of amino acids and some metabolites in blood with the HPLC/UPLC. And with this reseacrh I will try to determine if Its possible to determine the date of deposition of the bloodtrace.

I have to chose which amino acids and metabolites I want to reseach, and I have some trouble with picking. I would prefer amino acids and metabolites which are fluorescent, so I don't have to do a derivatization step. I was thinking about Trypophan, Phenylalanine and Tyrosine. But I am not sure if these amino acids are ''too big'' to detect with the HPLC? I also don't really know if I should pick metabolites which are formed from these amino acids, like kyruenine and norhaman. or to pick just random other metabolites. My teacher talked about picking oxidation metabolites but I can't really find what the oxidation metabolites are of Trypophan, Phenylalanine and Tyrosine.

Help is needed! Thankyou in advance.
Mnaiosa

Re: Amino acids and metabolites

Post by Mnaiosa »

To avoid the derivatization process, I would prefer to use fluorescent amino acids and metabolites.
amanda the adventurer
kevin498

Re: Amino acids and metabolites

Post by kevin498 »

For your internship research on detecting amino acids and metabolites in blood using HPLC/UPLC, focusing on fluorescent amino acids like tryptophan, phenylalanine, and tyrosine is a solid choice. These amino acids are commonly studied using HPLC/UPLC and don't require derivatization. Considering metabolites related to these amino acids, such as kynurenine for tryptophan, can provide valuable insights into their metabolic pathways. Additionally, exploring oxidation metabolites like 3-hydroxykynurenine and quinolinic acid derived from these amino acids' oxidation can deepen your understanding.