Chemistry

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

Ayat

Chemistry

Post by Ayat »

Hello, I am a physics student, i want to make thin film of Cu2O via solution process method of dip coating, but i dont know how to make the solution, read many papers i have copper ii sulfate pentahydrate, NaOH, Gulocose, and lactic acid, please guide me with proper way so that i make a solution of Cu2O, thanks
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Re: Chemistry

Post by ChenBeier »

You cannot make Cu2O solution, because it is not soluble. If you create it, it will precipitate imidiatelly.
Probably can make nano particles or spray version.
Maybe Fehling solution could be used.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fehling%27s_solution

Your solution can be made dissolve coppersulfat and lactic acid. If this is dissolved add sodium hydroxide until the precipitate gives a blue violet clear solution.
Then you add the glucose and heat the solution until it changes to red brown.
Ayat

Post by Ayat »

Thank you so much, I tried using copper sulfate pentahydrate, glucose, and sodium hydroxide, the color was red-brown exactly as Cu2O has but there was precipitation,
then my supervisor told me to use the electrodeposition method, I tried Copper sulfate pentahydrate with NaOH and lactic acid, the color was blue-violet but i did not add any glucose and left as it as, because i am very disappointed from the supervisor behavior he is not even cooperating with me, he told me do what you can, i don't know its your work you have to do it.
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by ChenBeier »

You cannot deposit copperoxide by electrolysis. This is only possible with copper itself.