CONCENTRATING 1 POWDER IN A 2-INGREDIENT MIX

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

BM90000

Post by BM90000 »

I have a question about needing very little (like in minute quantity - why there's a need to start with maybe 1 gram to measure accurately) of 1 constituent, and much more of a second (both dry powders - ratio is 1 : 150000). So, I would like to increase the initial mass of the lesser ingredient (to 1 gram, since it's actually in the microgram range), along with an initial addition of the greater ingredient (what would be ideal, considering final ratio ?). Then to mix it , and take of this mix to which I want to add more of the greater constituent - progressively, until I reach my desired ratio. PLEASE HELP with the formula / calculations.
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Re: CONCENTRATING 1 POWDER IN A 2-INGREDIENT MIX

Post by ChenBeier »

If the ratio is 1:150000, then if you have 1 g of compound one, you need 150 kg of compound 2. Are sure to do this?
Maeve Abshire

Post by Maeve Abshire »

Calculate the mass of the greater ingredient needed to achieve the desired ratio:
Mass of greater ingredient = 1 gram * (150000 - 1) = 149999 grams
Mnaiosa

Post by Mnaiosa »

I'd want to see the lesser ingredient's bulk increased and the greater ingredient's mass added
jesse99

Post by jesse99 »

To concentrate a tiny powder in a larger mix, you can start with a larger, measurable amount of the smaller powder and adjust the larger ingredient mass proportionally. fnf
davi9x

Post by davi9x »

You want to start with 1 gram of the lesser ingredient and an initial amount of the greater ingredient. Since you're aiming for a ratio of 1:150,000bitlife, you'll need to calculate how much of the greater ingredient to add initially.