NH4Cl and HCl waste gas treatment

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

zoke

NH4Cl and HCl waste gas treatment

Post by zoke »

Hi,

I am currently doing a literature review and simulation of palladium recovery . I have found book (Extractive metallurgy of nickel, cobalt and platinum group metals from Crundwell, Frank.)

I will be implementing an ignition unit where palladium will be recovered as pure metal while producing NH4Cl and HCl waste gases from thermal decomposition. This reaction occurs around 1000 celcius due to amonnia chloride sublimation temperature being around 500C.

The ignition reaction will be as follow: 3(NH4)2PdCl6(s) = 3Pd(s) +2 NH4Cl(g)+16HCl(g) + 2N2(g)

I wanted to collect this waste gas and treat it by wet scrubbing. My main goal is to turn the waste gas into NH4Cl(aq) without any additional species so that I can recycle it to my another process unit. From my inverstigation from patents and books for HCl(g), wet scrubbing with NH4OH(aq) or NH3 gas is an option according to a russian patent. I opted for NH4OH as it more available in industrial processes. My initial hypothesis is that waste gas NH4Cl(g) wont be reactinng with NH4OH(aq) but only turn into liquid by absorption, thus I have derived the following equation, and wanted to ask forum users if they think this reaction is feasible as well used in industrial wet scrubbing processes for HCl and NH4Cl waste gases.

The proposed wet scrubbing reaction:

NH4Cl(g)+ HCl(g) + NH4OH(aq) = 2NH4Cl(g)+H2O

Alternatively the reaction with steps:

NH4Cl(g) = NH4(+aq) + Cl(-aq)
HCl(g) + NH4OH(aq) = Cl(-aq) + NH4(+aq) + H2O(l)
NH4(+aq) + Cl(-aq) = NH4Cl(aq)
Nate87

Re: NH4Cl and HCl waste gas treatment

Post by Nate87 »

I'm conducting a literature review and simulation on palladium recovery, inspired by Crundwell's book on extractive metallurgy. My focus is on implementing an ignition unit to recover palladium as pure metal, alongside treating waste gases through wet scrubbing. I propose a wet scrubbing reaction converting NH4Cl(g) and HCl(g) into NH4Cl(aq) using NH4OH(aq), aiming for efficient waste gas treatment and recycling.