Stoichiometry problem

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

sottozer0

Stoichiometry problem

Post by sottozer0 »

Hi guys, I have this problem:
An organic compound, which contains C, H, O and Cl gave the following results: 0.16g produce from combustion 0.265g of CO2 and 0.0325g of H2O. If I melt 0.215g of the compound in water with the addiction of AgNO3 I obtain 0.236g of AgCl. Find the molecular formula of the compound. Molar mass is 130.5g/mol.

I obtained the mass of oxygen with the following operation:
(0.0325 + 0.265) - 0.16g from the reaction of combustion
I calculate moles of oxygen, hydrogen, carbon from CO2 and Cl from the salt, but the molecular formula that I found doesn’t march with the text result.
Can you help me ?
Thank you in advance.
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Re: Stoichiometry problem

Post by ChenBeier »

The calculation for oxygen is wrong, because the molecule also contain oxygen.
The masses of CO2 and H2O correspond to C and H. Calculate the moles of it and do a ratio to unbroken numbers.
The mass of silverchloride correspond to the mass of Chlorine. Do also mole ratio.
If you have C, H and Cl subtract it from the molar mass of the compound you get molar mass of oxygen.
sottozer0

Post by sottozer0 »

ChenBeier wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:12 am The calculation for oxygen is wrong, because the molecule also contain oxygen.
The masses of CO2 and H2O correspond to C and H. Calculate the moles of it and do a ratio to unbroken numbers.
The mass of silverchloride correspond to the mass of Chlorine. Do also mole ratio.
If you have C, H and Cl subtract it from the molar mass of the compound you get molar mass of oxygen.
Right, thank you very much
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by ChenBeier »

What is your result?
herringburden

Post by herringburden »

sottozer0 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:24 am
ChenBeier wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:12 am The calculation for oxygen is wrong, because the molecule also contain oxygen.
Right, thank you very much
Can you give me the results to see if the answer is the same as mine?
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by ChenBeier »

Why not give yours first?