How methyltrimethoxysilane can be uniformly dispersed into water

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

junzu ma

Post by junzu ma »

ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Re: How methyltrimethoxysilane can be uniformly dispersed into water

Post by ChenBeier »

Add some surfactant.
junzu ma

Post by junzu ma »

Hello, I would like to ask : after adding a surfactant, will it react with this silane, I want to use silane as a whole hydrophobic cement material, I am afraid that the hydrophobic effect is reduced after adding it.
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by ChenBeier »

What do you want? A hydrophobice compound, then it will dislike water and is not solouble in it. A surfactant can endlose it and get it more or less dissolved. But of course the System is more hydrophil.
junzu ma

Post by junzu ma »

Because I want to get the overall hydrophobicity of the cement material, this silane is directly mixed with water and then added to the cement to continue stirring. However, after curing, the sample has serious stratification. I think it should be the hydrolysis of this silane and water. It may also be that the density of the hydrolyzed silanol is small and then floats above the water, so I want to see whether this silane can be uniformly dispersed into the water without changing the hydrophobic properties of the silane.Perhaps silane evenly dispersed into the water, the sample curing will not appear layered phenomenon.
publictofu

Post by publictofu »

Two milligrams of functionalized CNTs were dissolved in 400 μl methyltrimethoxysilane (MTMOS), and then 50 μL distilled water and 50 mg polymethylhydrosiloxane.