Lithium and Lithium Hydride

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

dom626

Lithium and Lithium Hydride

Post by dom626 »

Hi, I'm an italian PhD student (sorry for my english :D ). I'm searching for data on Lithium and Lithium Hydride. In particular I need:
1) Data concerning LiH decomposition rate @ 1-10 atm and from 1200 K to 2500 K (that is: characteristic time of the decomposition in this range of pressure and temperature: is it < of 10E-5 s? I hope less than...)

2) chemical kinetics (not thermodyn.) data (in Arrhenius form) concerning liquid and gaseous Lithium combustion with air (or oxygen) in the same range of pressure and temperature 1200K-2550K)
Where I can find these data? I have searched into the NIST databases but...nothing!
Can you help me? Thank you for your help and attention!!!
peter
Sr. Staff Member
Sr. Staff Member

Re: Lithium and Lithium Hydride

Post by peter »

dom626 wrote:Hi, I'm an italian PhD student (sorry for my english :D ). I'm searching for data on Lithium and Lithium Hydride. In particular I need:
1) Data concerning LiH decomposition rate @ 1-10 atm and from 1200 K to 2500 K (that is: characteristic time of the decomposition in this range of pressure and temperature: is it < of 10E-5 s? I hope less than...)

2) chemical kinetics (not thermodyn.) data (in Arrhenius form) concerning liquid and gaseous Lithium combustion with air (or oxygen) in the same range of pressure and temperature 1200K-2550K)
Where I can find these data? I have searched into the NIST databases but...nothing!
Can you help me? Thank you for your help and attention!!!
You may try to search through the article databases, e.g.:
http://scholar.google.com/scholar?&q=Lithium+Hydride
Chemistry Legend
dom626

Post by dom626 »

Thank you Peter and sorry for my late answer. I'm trying to find some paper or journal but, as you can imagine, most of publications findable on internet are "spinning around" my problem...I think nobody or few persons have investigated LiH and Lithium into this range of P and T and in presence of air (hot). Really and more precisely the problem that I'm investigating is the combustion in a hot ( more than 1200 K) air stream of a solid grain of LiH in a vented container. My opinion is that LiH first liquifies and after, dragged by the turbulent stream decomposes giving Li and H2. Thus Li reacts with air oxygeh yelding (into this temperature range) Li2O. Now my problem, to make CFD simulations, is: how much rapid is the decomposition? Increasing temperature I think that LiH decomposes before to react with oxygen and only Liquid lithium reacts. To asses this "hypothesys" I need also data about the rate of Li2O production increasing T between 1200 K and about 3000 K but I can't find. Isearching data hoping that the LiH decomposition rate and the Li2O production rate to have characteristic times less than 10E-5 seconds....
My last task is to define a reduced set of reaction system to incluse into the CFD software...can you suggest me something more?
Thanks again!!!