Need help with some unknown salt

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

-Mart-

Need help with some unknown salt

Post by -Mart- »

Hello! some time ago i started experimenting in my own house with

Code: Select all

CuSO4
to make crystals. The past week i tried to mix the

CuSO4
with kitchen salt (i don't know if the salt i used it's only

NaCl
) and my solution turned from blue to green-blue. I searched and it's the normal color of the mixture of

CuSO4
and

NaCl
by the reaction:

CuSO4 + 2NaCl = CuCl2 + Na2SO4
. Then i added some

H2O2
whithout separating both salts (because i don't know how to separate them). When i added the

H2O2
my test tube got some hot and it produced a gas. I have been searching what happened but im unable to know what's in my test tube right now. For last i decided to dehydrate my solution and i produced a greeny dust that seems very similar to

CuCl2
but i'm not sure.

I don't know what happened (and i study chemistry lol), so i'm searching for help to discover what have i done in my kitchen. I'll be posting my new discoveries because i'm planning to make more tests with the unknown substance, but until then i would greatly appreciate your help and advice on how to find out what I have done. :idea:
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by ChenBeier »

You should not do anything , if you don't know what are you doing, one day it can cost your live.

You are right copper built a chloride complex which is green blue.
H2O2 will decompose to oxygen and water, do to catalytic reaction of copperion.
At the end you have a mixture of copper chloride, sodium chloride, sodium sulfate and. Copper sulfate.
-Mart-

Post by -Mart- »

Maybe i used in a bad-way the idiom, but i know what i'm doing but not what i was making. Anyways, thank you very much for worry about and for the answer. I was really concerned about what role have done the hydrogen peroxide.

Maybe in some days i'll come again with new discoveries (or doubts) about the salt mixture.

See ya! 8)
:)