Need help with some unknown salt
   Chemical Community Forum Index : Chemistry forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-Mart-

Reply with quoteFind all posts by -Mart-

Need help with some unknown salt

Hello! some time ago i started experimenting in my own house with CuSO4 to make crystals. The past week i tried to mix the CuSO4 with kitchen salt (i don't know if the salt i used it's only NaCl ) and my solution turned from blue to green-blue. I searched and it's the normal color of the mixture of CuSO4 and NaCl by the reaction:

CuSO4 + 2NaCl = CuCl2 + Na2SO4 . Then i added some H2O2 whithout separating both salts (because i don't know how to separate them). When i added the H2O2 my test tube got some hot and it produced a gas. I have been searching what happened but im unable to know what's in my test tube right now. For last i decided to dehydrate my solution and i produced a greeny dust that seems very similar to CuCl2 but i'm not sure.

I don't know what happened (and i study chemistry lol), so i'm searching for help to discover what have i done in my kitchen. I'll be posting my new discoveries because i'm planning to make more tests with the unknown substance, but until then i would greatly appreciate your help and advice on how to find out what I have done. Idea
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Reply with quoteFind all posts by ChenBeier

You should not do anything , if you don't know what are you doing, one day it can cost your live.

You are right copper built a chloride complex which is green blue.
H2O2 will decompose to oxygen and water, do to catalytic reaction of copperion.
At the end you have a mixture of copper chloride, sodium chloride, sodium sulfate and. Copper sulfate.
-Mart-

Reply with quoteFind all posts by -Mart-

Maybe i used in a bad-way the idiom, but i know what i'm doing but not what i was making. Anyways, thank you very much for worry about and for the answer. I was really concerned about what role have done the hydrogen peroxide.

Maybe in some days i'll come again with new discoveries (or doubts) about the salt mixture.

See ya! Cool
   Chemical Community Forum Index : Chemistry forum Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Chemical portal