Balancing a chemical equation and the charges? Thanks!

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

aseret

Balancing a chemical equation and the charges? Thanks!

Post by aseret »

Hey guys!

I need to balance a chemical equation properly for tomo chem class. it is really urgent I appreciate all your help :)

The chemical reaction involves a silver ammonia complex that reacts with nitric acid and carbonic acid to form carbon dioxide, water, ammonium and silver nitrate.

Ag(NH3)2 + HNO3 +CO3 ^2- -> CO2 + H2O + AgNO3 + NH4+

For some reason I cant seem to to balance this equation. Can anyone help me out please? Also, can someone also balances the charges correctly=

Thank you so much in advance!!!! :)

Edit:

Its a lab project and my teacher wants one whole reaction. It involves a silver ammonia complex (Ag(NH3)2) from a previous reaction (Ag2CO3 + 4NH3 -> A(Ag(NH3)2)+ + CO3 ^2-) to which HNO3 is added, and which is supposed to form AgNO3. My teacher wants me to write CO2 in the main equation and this throws me off.

So far I have written my work as: CO3- + 2HNO3 -> CO2 + H2O and (Ag(NH3)2) + 2HNO3 -> AgNO3 + 2NH4

So how can i combine both of these and form one balanced equation? I am so confused with this assignment so any help is appreciated.
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by ChenBeier »

[Ag(NH3)2]2CO3 + 6 HNO3 => 2AgNO3 + 4 NH4NO3 + H2O + CO2

Main reactions are CO3 2- + 2 H+ => H2O + CO2 and NH3 +H+ => NH4+

Silver and Nitrate will be in solution.