Information needed!!!

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

davidwiki8

Information needed!!!

Post by davidwiki8 »

Hello,
Some time ago I asked you about the reations of orthoclase and biotite with nitric and sulfuric acid. Now, I'd be really grateful if you could tell me where did you get the reactions from. If you just knew how to do them, could you recommend me a book/webpage in which I can find them?

Secondly, I was wondering why in the reaction between Nitric acid (1M) and a piece of iron, the solution turns completely black. Which product is causing that?

Again, thanks in advance for everything!
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by ChenBeier »

Orthoclas didnt react with sulfuric or nitric acid.

http://marulla.com/mineral-solubility/
davidwiki8

Post by davidwiki8 »

The thing is that I'm doing a research project and I need to write where did I get the reactions from. I mean, as they are really complex, I can't aduce that I did them myself.

And what about the black color of the solution in the reaction between iron and nitric acid.
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by ChenBeier »

I dont have a crystall ball. I dont know what kind of iron you had. Normally it will be dissolved to yellow braun Fe3+. Maybe it contained high amount carbon.