What are the products of this reaction?

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

Tanizaki

What are the products of this reaction?

Post by Tanizaki »

I am trying to determine how a paste of baking soda and water can remove silver tarnish. Can anyone please assist with products and balancing? Thank you very much.

Ag2S + NaHC03 ---> Na2S + Ag + _______???
Hwguy

Post by Hwguy »

the other product is probably CO2 and possibly water but im not too sure
In Physical Chemistry experiments must be reproducible, they should fail the same way each time
Hwguy

Post by Hwguy »

the other product is probably CO2 and possibly water but im not too sure. You may be over thinking this too, a thick paste would also have abrasive properties and a little scrubbing may be what removes the tarnish rather than any chemical action
In Physical Chemistry experiments must be reproducible, they should fail the same way each time
Tanizaki

Post by Tanizaki »

Hwguy wrote:the other product is probably CO2 and possibly water but im not too sure. You may be over thinking this too, a thick paste would also have abrasive properties and a little scrubbing may be what removes the tarnish rather than any chemical action
I've done it and the cleansing happens even without rubbing. I am confident of the Na2S product, just need to figure out the others.
Xen
Sr. Staff Member
Sr. Staff Member

Post by Xen »

Tanizaki wrote:
Hwguy wrote:the other product is probably CO2 and possibly water but im not too sure. You may be over thinking this too, a thick paste would also have abrasive properties and a little scrubbing may be what removes the tarnish rather than any chemical action
I've done it and the cleansing happens even without rubbing. I am confident of the Na2S product, just need to figure out the others.
I would say that Na2S is not probable because HS- is a very very weak acid, even weaker than HCO3-:
Na2S + NaHCO3 = NaHS + Na2CO3
The common way to remove tarnish from a silver object is to put the object on the top of aluminum foil and then add NaHCO3. In this case the reaction is known:
3 Ag2S + 9 NaHCO3 + 2 Al = 3 NaHS + 3 Na2CO3 + 2 Al(OH)3 + 6 Ag + 6 CO2