Balancing antacid reactions

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

suzinne

Balancing antacid reactions

Post by suzinne »

I performed a qualitative identification of magnesium contained in antacids. The following reactions were performed in the following order after acid neutralization of Mg(OH)2+HCl:

1)MgCl2+NH4Cl(s)+NH4CO3

Gas was released and a precipitate formed but I"m not sure what the exact reaction was. I also think that Mg(oh)2 was reformed. Afterwards, Na2HPO4 was added to the solution containing the precipitate. Thanks for you help!
Xen
Sr. Staff Member
Sr. Staff Member

Re: Balancing antacid reactions

Post by Xen »

suzinne wrote:I performed a qualitative identification of magnesium contained in antacids. The following reactions were performed in the following order after acid neutralization of Mg(OH)2+HCl:

1)MgCl2+NH4Cl(s)+NH4CO3

Gas was released and a precipitate formed but I"m not sure what the exact reaction was. I also think that Mg(oh)2 was reformed. Afterwards, Na2HPO4 was added to the solution containing the precipitate. Thanks for you help!
NH4CO3 does not exists. If we assume NH4HCO3 instead of NH4CO3 the reaction might be something like that:
MgCl2 + 2 NH4HCO3 = MgCO3(s) + CO2(g) + 2 NH4Cl + H2O