Please help me to solve this chemistry problem

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

Oresti

Please help me to solve this chemistry problem

Post by Oresti »

How many moles of HCl should be added to Zn to get 20g H?

Reaction: Zn + 2HCl = ZnCl2 + H2[/code]
matej789

Post by matej789 »

Ok lets begin the math:
First we se that 1 mole of Zn and 2 moles oh HCl gives us 1 mole oh hydrogen.

1 mole oh hydrogen weights around 2 grams seeing as molar mass oh 1 hydrogen atom is around 1.

There for we just devide the mass of reguired hydrogen by the molar mass of 1 mol and we get:

20g/(2g/mol)= 10 mol H2

And now since we needed 2 moles of HCl to make 1 mole of H2 we just multiply the moles from up there by 2 getting us:

10mol*2= 20 moles of HCl

There you go hopefully it helped!
engineer7

Post by engineer7 »

I guess, one very important condition is missing here - the mass of Zn.

If you have got Zn in quantity lesser than 65.38 grams (1 mole of Zn), any amount of HCl can't help you to produce needed quantity of H.

If you have exactly 65.38 grams of Zn, then ANY amount of HCl, equal or exceeding 36.45 x 2=72.9 grams, should produce only 20 grams of H.

If you have more than 65.38 grams of Zn, then you have to be careful and use exactly 72.9 grams of HCl to produce 20 grams of H.

This is my understanding...