A nucleophille with pi bond and hydroxyl group,...et al....

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

rentsdar34

A nucleophille with pi bond and hydroxyl group,...et al....

Post by rentsdar34 »

I have what i believe are some good questions from a hungry/devoted student: Is only one stereocenter chiral center for a molecule needed to exhibit optical activity?

1. In a nucleophille with both a pi bond and hydroxyl group (e.g. cyclohexene with a propanol chain attached...im embarassed im not sure what the correct name is...) interacting with an electrophille (e.g. Br2)...my unedrstanding is that one non-bonding lone pair on oxygen is the nucleophile, not the pi bond.. Is this a general rule for nucleophiles with these two fucntional groups/reactive sites? I suppose the lone pair on oxygen has greater electon denisty than the overlapping pi bond and that is why it is -this- orbit which attacts the electrohpile (like Br2 or something). Will this always happen, assuming similar reactants?

2. Why does higher temp favor eliminations (starts with base attack of beta carbon H+) more than substituion reactions? For example, E1 competing with SN1? It would seem the leaving group leaving first in SN1 would take more energy (higher temperature) to break than the acid base rxn which occurs in E2? Thank you very much- respectfully- passionate student