PEPSI + Dry Ice = EXPLOSION!

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

chemist

PEPSI + Dry Ice = EXPLOSION!

Post by chemist »

Check this out: http://www.metacafe.com/fplayer/106412/dry_ice.swf
Those guys know how to make fun!
Sara

Re: PEPSI + Dry Ice = EXPLOSION!

Post by Sara »

chemist wrote:Check this out: http://www.metacafe.com/fplayer/106412/dry_ice.swf
Those guys know how to make fun!
Risky though ...
Hwguy

Post by Hwguy »

cool trick but i would not want to try it. If those bottles go off early they can and have removed fingers and in one case a guys genitals...
In Physical Chemistry experiments must be reproducible, they should fail the same way each time
Vitalii
Staff Member
Staff Member

dry ice explosion

Post by Vitalii »

Hwguy wrote:cool trick but i would not want to try it. If those bottles go off early they can and have removed fingers and in one case a guys genitals... :shock:

As far as I remember my supervisor has shown this experiment to freshmen during the lecture.
... I should probably warn her
Hwguy

Post by Hwguy »

I wouldent worry too much. If it is done correctly and safely it is a very good demonstration. I have done it with liquid nitrogen on numerous occasions. I always try to have thick gloves on and a face shield (should be standard practace when using a liquid gas anyway) and when i am screwing the cap on if possible i try to have something between my body and the bottle. I good understanding of safe practice when handleing such materials will negate a lot of the risk. as will being a safe distance from the bottle etc so dont panic.
In Physical Chemistry experiments must be reproducible, they should fail the same way each time