Balancing an equation with multiple solutions

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

kriscomms

Balancing an equation with multiple solutions

Post by kriscomms »

I'm trying to balance the equation H2S + CS2 + O2 = H2O + SO2 + CO2

The solution I got is 2H2S + CS2 + 6O2 = 2H2O + 4SO2 + CO2

First, is this correct? Then the question is this:

A 10g mixture of H2S and CS2 was burned in oxygen to form a mixture of H2O, SO2 and CO2. The dried mixture on being separated into its pure components yielded 0.275mol of SO2 and 0.0774mol of CO2. What mass of H2S was there in the original mixture?

I tried calculating the mass of SO2 and CO2 and then, using those answers I tried calculating the moles of H2S and CS2 by taking the total mass and the total molar mass of H2S and CS2. But clearly that didn't that didn't work. What is the first step to solving this equation? (Tell me the first step and then let me try to go from there. If I need more help I'll be back.)

Thanks,

Kristina
peter
Sr. Staff Member
Sr. Staff Member

Re: Balancing an equation with multiple solutions

Post by peter »

kriscomms wrote:I'm trying to balance the equation H2S + CS2 + O2 = H2O + SO2 + CO2

The solution I got is 2H2S + CS2 + 6O2 = 2H2O + 4SO2 + CO2

First, is this correct? Then the question is this:

A 10g mixture of H2S and CS2 was burned in oxygen to form a mixture of H2O, SO2 and CO2. The dried mixture on being separated into its pure components yielded 0.275mol of SO2 and 0.0774mol of CO2. What mass of H2S was there in the original mixture?

I tried calculating the mass of SO2 and CO2 and then, using those answers I tried calculating the moles of H2S and CS2 by taking the total mass and the total molar mass of H2S and CS2. But clearly that didn't that didn't work. What is the first step to solving this equation? (Tell me the first step and then let me try to go from there. If I need more help I'll be back.)

Thanks,

Kristina
You have two independent reactions:

Code: Select all

CS2 + 3 O2 = CO2 + 2 SO2
and

Code: Select all

2 H2S + 3 O2 = 2 H2O + 2 SO2
Chemistry Legend