Help with a balanced equation

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

wedge-7

Help with a balanced equation

Post by wedge-7 »

Hi all! I'm actually new here and was hoping someone could help me decipher what exactly this question is asking.

Write a balanced equation for the reaction of dichromate ion, Cr2O7 -2 with chromium metal in aqueous acidic solution, to give Cr3+ and water.

I'm just a little confused with what exactly chromium metal in aqueous acidic solution means, if it was just Cr or if the aqueous acidic solution actually plays apart in the equation?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
holyland

Post by holyland »

in my opinion, the action is as following
Cr2O7 2- + Cr =>Cr3+

and the Cr3+ will Disperse to the solution. And this is usefull for the reaction.

but if the solution is Based(PH>7), there will be OH- in the solution, so the following reaction will Cr3+ + 3OH- == Cr(OH)3! .

and this reaction will stop the first reaction.
:P

my personal web: www.chem-zone.com
wedge-7

Post by wedge-7 »

thanks for the repsonse, but i'm still a tad confused with what exactly the dichromate reacting with a chromium metal in aqueous acidic solution means exactly.

is that just Cr2O72- + Cr -> Cr+3 + H2O ...?

So the aqeous acidic solution plays no real part before the balancing?