Help with Predicting Products and their states.

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

Useless

Help with Predicting Products and their states.

Post by Useless »

Ok, I desperately need help. I have an assignment due and I do not understand the text I am using, and the instructor give notes from the text. It's frustrating...

My question is as follows...

Complete the following reactions. Predict the products fromed and their states. Make sure you balance the reactions. I don't know where to start and I don't kow how to predict the products...

a.) AGNO3(aq) +...NaBR(aq)

b.) HCl(aq) +...KOH(aq)

If anyone could guide me that would be great!
peter
Sr. Staff Member
Sr. Staff Member

Re: Help with Predicting Products and their states.

Post by peter »

Useless wrote:Ok, I desperately need help. I have an assignment due and I do not understand the text I am using, and the instructor give notes from the text. It's frustrating...

My question is as follows...

Complete the following reactions. Predict the products fromed and their states. Make sure you balance the reactions. I don't know where to start and I don't kow how to predict the products...

a.) AGNO3(aq) +...NaBR(aq)

b.) HCl(aq) +...KOH(aq)

If anyone could guide me that would be great!
First, you really need to figure out the products. Balancing is simple:
a)

Code: Select all

AgNO3(aq) + NaBr(aq) = AgBr(s) + NaNO3(aq)
b)

Code: Select all

HCl(aq) + KOH(aq) = KCl(aq) +H2O
~peter
Chemistry Legend
peter
Sr. Staff Member
Sr. Staff Member

Post by peter »

For the first one you need to know that AgBr is insoluble (and that is the driving force of the reaction).
For the second a universal rule is that if an acid and a base react they produce water and a salt.
Useless

Post by Useless »

OK Perfect, that helps a lot!! It's not easy to get if you do not know the "meat and potatoes" so to speak of the result.

Much appreciated!