REDUCING SELENATE TO SELENIUM

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

w0124148

REDUCING SELENATE TO SELENIUM

Post by w0124148 »

I desperately need help with the following problem:

A number of bacteria, including Bacillus, Acinetobacter, and Pseudomonascan convert selenate (SeO4 2-) to nontoxic elemental selenium. The bacteria do this for their own survival - to prevent accumulation of toxic levels in their cells.

What is the chemical reaction that shows how the bacteria make Se0 using hydrogen sulfide (H2S) and selenate?

I think that it has something to do with ferroselite (FeSe2) oxidizing the sulfur, but I'm not sure. Thanks in advance for the help!!!
expert
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by expert »

I can only propose that it’s not hydrogen sulfide but rather Cysteine as a part of a protein that reduces the selenate:
2 Protein-SH + SeO4 (2-) + H(+) = Protein-S-S-Protein + Se + H2O

Two hydrosulfide groups in protein turn into disulfide group resulted in crosslink in the protein (could be an enzyme) and reduction of selenate.
Hydrogen sulfide will react in a similar fashion forming sulfur and selenium:
H2S + SeO4 (2-) + H(+) = S8 + Se + H2O
Remember safety first! Check MSDS and consult with professionals before performing risky experiments.
w0124148

Post by w0124148 »

The problem specifically says using hydrogen sulfide and selenate. I've racked my brain and talked to many of my old professors; they were just as perplexed. This is all I can come up with, and I'm not sure if it's even balanced. Thanks for the help!!

SeO4(2-) + 4H2S ⎯⎯→ Se0 +4H2O + 4S0
expert
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by expert »

Your equation is impossible since you have double negative charge on the left and no charge on the right. You need protons for this reaction, so go with my equation above. The real formula for free sulfur is S8
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulfur

If you don’t like S8 then use formula S and go with the following equation:

3 H2S + H2SeO4 = 3 S + Se + 4 H2O

If you better like an ionic form the use the following:
3 H2S + SeO4(2-) + 2 H(+) = 3 S + Se + 4 H2O
Remember safety first! Check MSDS and consult with professionals before performing risky experiments.