Making it COLD!

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

Uriahdribble

Making it COLD!

Post by Uriahdribble »

Salt peter, Sal Ammoniac, and Sodium Sulfate powders mixed into water.

I have a century old notebook that indicates about 4 oz. (1.3 oz. of each of the above 3 chemicals (powdered THEN mixed)) per gallon of water will absorb enough heat to reduce the temperature to as little as -20 degrees F for as much as 15 minutes or more.

I would appreciate it if someone could provide the results of the reaction, including the heat absorbed (preferably in BTUs, but I can convert CGS units).
Additionally, is it possible to guesstimate the approximate time for the solution to achieve equilibrium?

Presumed left side of the reaction equation:
KNO3 + 2NH4Cl + Na2SO4 + H2O =

What is the corrected complete equation?
Vitalii
Staff Member
Staff Member

Re: Making it COLD!

Post by Vitalii »

Uriahdribble wrote:Salt peter, Sal Ammoniac, and Sodium Sulfate powders mixed into water.

I have a century old notebook that indicates about 4 oz. (1.3 oz. of each of the above 3 chemicals (powdered THEN mixed)) per gallon of water will absorb enough heat to reduce the temperature to as little as -20 degrees F for as much as 15 minutes or more.

I would appreciate it if someone could provide the results of the reaction, including the heat absorbed (preferably in BTUs, but I can convert CGS units).
Additionally, is it possible to guesstimate the approximate time for the solution to achieve equilibrium?

Presumed left side of the reaction equation:
KNO3 + 2NH4Cl + Na2SO4 + H2O =

What is the corrected complete equation?
No chemical reaction happens in this case. Salts are ionized by the water and that takes the heat from the solution:
KNO3(s) = KNO3(aq)
NH4Cl(s) = NH4Cl(aq)
Na2SO4(s) = Na2SO4(aq)
or the a same but in the net ionic form:
KNO3(s) = K+(aq) + NO3-(aq)
NH4Cl(s) = NH4+(aq) + Cl-(aq)
Na2SO4(s) = 2Na+(aq) + SO42-(aq)
Uriahdribble

Post by Uriahdribble »

Does that mean that after equilibrium has been achieved and the solution returns to ambient temp. I can evaporate the water off and then dry and re-use the chemicals over and over? If so that would be fantastic.
Vitalii
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Vitalii »

Yes, but you should be accurate with NH4Cl it easily decomposes:
NH4Cl(s) = NH3(g) + HCl(g)
Uriahdribble

Post by Uriahdribble »

Please clarify "be accurate with NH4Cl" What is the best way to dry this mixture safely and accurately?
I think the Na2SO4 will have to be in the anhydrous state to work again. I don't think decahydrate will work, but may be wrong.
Vitalii
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Vitalii »

You should not overheat NH4Cl ... boil slowly ...
I think that NaSO4*10H2O is what you use in the first place. And that's what you will get after the crystallization.
rajan84

Post by rajan84 »

I just started a new job, and am full of new germs, and being stressed, so I developed a really bad head cold. My throat is completely fine, and my lungs are fine, I just have a stuffed runny nose and this is making my mouth dry, and my nose sore.

It feels like a constant headache because my nose is so stuffed, and I'm on my period as well, so I've been taking Cold FX, and Midol daily, but nothing is really helping, I'm still achy and cold all over, how would you go about relieving the pain/fixing the cold?
Distinguished Member

Post by expert »

It looks like you have a sinus infection. You may need antibiotics. Go to doctor. To releaf pressue in you mid ear take sudafed. This maybe the reason of constant headaches.
Remember safety first! Check MSDS and consult with professionals before performing risky experiments.